Moto411, Moto 411

Monday, October 16, 2006

Part Review: Gilles Rearsets 2001 CBR600 F4i

Quality: ++++-(4 out of 5)
Functionality: ++++-(4 out of 5)
Appearance: +++++(5 out of 5)
Value: +++--(3 out of 5)
Overall: ++++-(4 out of 5)
Pros:
  • Solves stock F4i rearset "problem"
  • Great feel, good grip, smooth shifting
  • Excellent craftsmanship
  • Are they not hot?
  • Replacement parts sold individually
Cons:
  • Not cheap
  • Not cheap at all

Buy Gilles rearsets at Amazon.com.

Introduction

Anyone who owns a Honda CBR600 F4i knows the bike, save the seat, is extremely comfortable given its above average handling capabilities. That comfort comes at a cost though; for any aggressive riding, the foot pegs are far too low.

Seen here, the stock F4i rearsets are too low:

This can lead to a serious medical condition known as Toeis Nomoreis. If Toeis Nomoreis is allowed to progress, the cost in footwear alone can be exorbitant.

A bad case of Toeis Nomoreis:

The only thing that could solve my problem was a pair of aftermarket rearsets. I took lugnut's advice, read his review and ordered some Gilles rearsets.

Impression

Wow! lugnut was right. The rearsets continued to impress me from the time I got the box until long after I hit the road. Lucky for lugnut everything he reported was dead on, as I know where he lives. I liked the black ones lugnut chose, but I went with the "titanium" color to match my bike.

Right side:

Left side:

Installation

Installation was simple and straightforward. Unlike with lugnut's R6, the F4i rearsets did not require any creative shift linkages. However, when purchasing the rearsets, I had to explicitly decide between standard or inverted shifting.

Use

Having sat on lugnut's bike when he had his Vortex rearsets, I was worried about grip on an aftermarket foot peg. I was pleasantly surprised with the Gilles pegs. Fantastic grip, smooth shifting and, best of all, my Toeis Nomoreis has been cured.

Conclusion

True, they are expensive, but find me some quality aftermarket rearsets that aren't. Given the price, I could have lived without them if my stock rearsets weren't so low. But, due to the problems with my boots, these were a necessity. For the F4i, I think the Gilles rearsets represent a good solution for riders encountering similar issues.

No comments: