Moto411, Moto 411

Monday, October 16, 2006

Gear Review: Helimot Gloves

Quality: ++++-(4 out of 5)
Functionality: +++++(5 out of 5)
Appearance: +++--(3 out of 5)
Value: +++--(3 out of 5)
Overall: ++++-(4 out of 5)
Pros:
  • Extremely comfortable
  • Custom tailored fit
  • Quality Workmanship
  • Kangaroo
  • Locally made (for me anyway)
Cons:
  • Not cheap
  • Styling might not be for everyone

Introduction

I knew I needed a new pair of gloves soon, but I really hadn't given any thought to what I was going to get. My multiple pairs were getting too worn, coming unstitched, soaked by sweat at the track only to dry hard in the sun too many times, etc.

I wasn't really putting off buying new gloves, but gloves didn't really excite me. I'm pretty sure this was due to the fact that I've never had a pair I really liked. I've never experienced the comfort of what a motorcycle glove could and should be. Mine typically start to bunch in the palm, cut off circulation to my pinky finger, have one or two fingers that are too long, etc. Even "good" gloves (which I'm pretty sure just means "expensive") haven't been any better. However, as a disclaimer, I've never owned any really good/expensive gloves.

Well, a couple weekends ago, I found myself at a silent auction raising money for a local fire department which helps quite a few motorcyclists in need. Staring me in the face was a nice looking pair of gloves from a brand I had heard was pretty good. I placed my $130 bid and left for the day. I got the call last Monday that I had won the gloves. I was really excited; new gloves on the cheap! The gloves on which I bid were sent to me and all I had to do was go to the local shop and exchange them for something my size. Luckily for me, the Helimot shop is literally walking distance from my house...so off I went.

Impression

Glove at first sight! When I slipped into my new gloves at the shop, it was a life-changing event. Motorcycle gloves can be comfortable! (In fact, I'm typing in them right now.) Nothing poked my hand; nothing felt rough or hard; it was all smooth and soft; and, most importantly, the gloves barely limited my digital dexterity. The only things a bit off were the thumbs and two fingers—I have short fingers and they were too long. I was told to go break them in with a few rides and bring them back to be tailored to my finger length. I was in shock! Now, the alterations do cost $7 a finger, but considering I got a $200+ pair of gloves for $130, the few bucks for alterations seemed like a good deal.

The best gloves I've ever owned:


The palms are soft and flexible kangaroo hide without superfluous material and the seams are in out-of-the-way places. Compare the palm of the Helimot glove above with an old glove of mine below. The glove below has all sorts of who-knows-what going on. All that material and all that stitching kept bunching up to make a horribly uncomfortable and sometimes painful lump. The Helimot gloves don't do that. But what about safety? The entire palms of the Helimot gloves are two layers thick, and yet they still retain the flexibility you need in a motorcycle glove.

Old, bad glove:

Although they may not look it, the Helimot gloves offer superior protection throughout. The padding on top is thick, yet flexible and, despite it not having carbon fiber knuckle protectors, I suspect these would do a better job at protecting one's hands in an accident. The soft padding does give the glove a sort of "Darth Vader" look which some may not like. I happen to really like the styling of the glove. And believe me, you will get over your style concerns if you try them on. To visually highlight what I mean, compare the inside of the old glove with the Helimot.

Old glove:

Hand heaven:

Use

I'm a few rides in and they're still great. I'm going to bring them in for the alterations soon; they should be even better when I get them back.

Conclusion

Good gloves are worth the money, as long as you are actually spending your money on good gloves. The Helimot gloves I got were less expensive than top-of-the-line gloves from more mainstream brands and far more comfortable. Even after the custom alterations, the price will still be comparable. Not all expensive gloves are good, but these are thus far.

No comments: